Dissapointed about Removal of Live Links
Here's a good one for your weekend thoughts:
- SEOChat have disabled live links in posts. Randfish kicks the complaint thread off and seochatters express their displeasure or approval.
- Searchenginewatch have an ongoing poll on the very same subject.
- Webmasterworld members are scared half the death of even mentioning an outside source.
- Crea8asite have made their outgoing links search engine unfriendly rendering them less prone to abuse.
So, what is it with all this? On one hand I can understand that live links in an forum environment present some unique challenges for board administrators when the membership is primarily made up of newbie search marketers but on the other, why run a forum if you aren't prepared to put the work in?
Since I started TW and actively got out and about a lot more in order to find good stuff to post here, a few observations that in retrospect seem obvious have come very much to the fore.
- Client trolling forums dont care either way about links.
- Some forums appear to resent the time and effort it takes to run one
- Some guard their borders so tightly you cant help but pitty the mentality
- Forum members in a very general sense often appear to not realize there is a world outside of the garden
- I was once one of those people
- There are many people that would call themselves a professional search marketer that think links from their forum posts are very, very important
- I think those people need to re-work their promotional strategies
Open for general debate...