I have a few clients that keep complaining to me about how bad the webmaster tools data is. These are things I have seen so far.
- Webmaster tools will say you are ranking for a kerword phrase in web but actually it is in image search that you rank for that phrase.
- It tells you you rank in a particular country for a keyword but you don't.
- I have one client who hasn't ranked for a particular keyword for 2 years yet webmaster tools says he does. Frustrating as this guy calls me once a month to complain about it.
- I am finding ahrefs lists lots of backlinks that webmaster tools isn't finding. Is google really that crap at finding links? or as I suspect they just don't show you many
- keywords that appear at position 50 or so in webmaster tools are never there. It is usually just multiple links from a brand site that is dominating the niche.
- I have had clients who have had the massive change in traffic message. Only to realise that is just holiday traffic.Google can't seem to recognize the difference.
- I have had clients who have had huge boosts in WMT for a keyword .. yet never get that boost in RL and a week or 2 later WMT shows them back at their old position.
These are just a few of the complaints I get. For my pesonal sites I rarely look at WMT anymore I find it so inaccurate and pointless. Is this a part of Google's attempt to spread FUD? Kind of like the "not reported" in analytics?
Anyone got any others to add to the list?