Tom Foremski - As soon as SEO dies, the better

18 comments
Thread Title:
The purity of search results challenges Google and offers an opening to rivals
Thread Description:

You've got to love it when people who clearly know sod all about Search marketing start spouting off about it :) Everybody and his dog has an opinion on Search all of a sudden: Instant search expert, just add blog.

Tom Foremski has taken a leaf out of Seth Godin's book and is trying to stir up a little "Search contraversy" for link love - Nice one tom, have a link :-)

He says that as soon as SEO dies, it will free up a lot of wasted human effort, and also takes a flying leap toward the "user, buzz, grassroots, etc etc" bandwagon seemingly just for good measure.

My position on SEO is that the sooner it dies the better—it will free up a large amount of what is now largely wasted human effort, IMHO.

It’s wasted effort because no one can figure out all the nuances of Google’s search algorithms and so there is a “black magic” of sorts involved in SEO.

Web site owners will sometimes find their sites boosted into a much improved ranking—and not know how they did it. Then the next day they can just as quickly get pushed out to page 900 of Google search, virtually a death sentence for an online retailer relying on search pages.

Google engineers must constantly change their search and indexing technologies to battle the craftiest SEO practitioners.

If a search engine company can maintain the purity of its search results, it will have a good shot at becoming hooked into a viral buzz in which users become evangelists and share their discovery with others. That kind of grass roots viral buzz has always been how search engines grew in popularity.

The meat of the post seems to be about Become.com the new shopping search engine from Yang and Yeogirl but that bits rather dull i think. What's more interesting is the set of obvious points that Tom misses entirely.

  • Without basic search optimization, many sites would not be found by Google
  • Search optimization plays a key role in search engine relevancy
  • Need proof? Check out Brian's post on irrelevant Google.co.uk results for uncompetitive terms.
  • Become.com is indeed spam proof, largely becuase it's not important enough to warrant the time it would take to spam it.

Comments

Bloggers Gallery of Stupidity

Is this site turning into a Gallery of stupid bloggers or what? LOL Not that I mind, it's quite entertaining but it's amazing how many idiots that sits around blogging way too much. I am just happy that I am not going to research "history" in 100 years havind to wade through all this BS hehehe

> He says that as soon as SEO dies, it will free up a lot of wasted human effort, and also takes a flying leap toward the "user, buzz, grassroots, etc etc" bandwagon seemingly just for good measure.

Yeah, yeah, yeah and when all crime is gone, no scam artist is left, noone ever thinks of cheating anyone else and we don't care about money and wealth the earth will be a great place, right? Dream on. Dream on ... :)

Well...

He's an ex FT journo aswell as a blogger, i don't think you can necessarily label either Tom or anyone else under "stupid bloggers" though there are undoubtably plenty of stupid bloggers...

Blogs have become so mainstream that they pretty much reflect society in general i think, you have smart ones, stupid ones, and all other kinds.

Generally speaking, SVG, his "blog" is one of the important ones, at least it's in a folder labled "important" in my RSS :) I just take a little humour in the fact that all of a sudden Search is trendy and everyone and his dog wants to be an industry analyst heh..

Become - or any engine - isn't spam proof

The guy is high if he thinks you can build a spam proof engine. The only engine with no "spam" or SEO invovled, is that one that doesn't index content.

I've already found stuff in Become.com that many, over the years have in various forums, labeled spam or at least aggressive SEO. To say their "Spam resistant" is taking a page out of Google's book when years ago, either Sergey or Larry said that Google was "spam proof".

Now, Google knows better. Spam proof engines only exist in dreamland.

> all of a sudden Search is t

> all of a sudden Search is trendy and everyone and his dog wants to be an industry analyst heh.

Actually, most often it looks more like a case of ... "YO, where is all that money going ... I don't get it ... I must not like it" :)

Remember, old traditional medias, as well as blogs to some degree, are the very ones that suffer from the success of SEO. I see it all the time: Newspapers and other medias that don't benifit from the search exlosion grab any chance they can to write about the evil SEO/SEM industry. It honestly makes me puke! So much for great journalism.

Back up Mr W, back up

>Blogs have become so mainstream that they pretty much reflect society in general i think

Off topic a bit, but I strongly disagree with that statement.

As regards Mr Foremski, it seems in his case a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

I think he's practicing a little 'trackback SEO' --controversy is great for link-building. (Nick, toss a no-follow in that link.)

I dont mind rc..

I really, really like that site, he can have a clean link heh.. but yeah, it's soooo easy. I've done plenty of it hah!

>back up

Well, you do "meet" all sorts out there...

He's obviously not addressing...

...those of us who are successful at SEO, hehe... Wasted human effort - puh.

There's a lot of wasted human effort going on on Sunday mornings, behind closed drapes, but no-one's complaining about that :-]

Hmm turn it around a bit

Quote:
Newspapers and other medias that don't benifit from the search exlosion grab any chance they can to write about the evil SEO/SEM industry. It honestly makes me puke! So much for great journalism.

In my case it makes me smile - the more people that promote the idea that SEO is bad and that SEOs are evil, no goodnicks the happier I am.

Why - because it creates another barrier to entry, and the less competition there is the better it is for all of us already in the industry.

In fact I might just start a blog condemning the SEO industry, telling everyone that 99% of SEOs are frauds that you can't trust and the other 1% will charge you so much you'll actually be better off without them.

well

>telling everyone that 99% of SEOs are frauds that you can't trust and the other 1% will charge you so much you'll actually be better off without them.

That would be a lie, maybe Tom is right after all?

bloggers

>Instant search expert, just add blog.
Fantastic quote and right on the mark. But it goes deeper than that too, bloggers largely have a sheep mentality; they seem not to be able to have an opinion without popular affirmation.

Unfortunately the chances....

..of killing SEO are about the same as the chances of killing Newtons Method or Genetic Algorithms.

Well, he isn't getting an invitation to the seoroadshow. OK, well, maybe --we need a stand-up comic.

With articles like Boser's...

...which you guys are discussing here, what do you expect the mainstream people to think?

That sounds like an American

That sounds like an American blog.

>>The search engine optimisation (SEO) industry is huge, and continues to grow.

We say search engine optimization here, Tom. And yes, as a matter of fact, I live & work in the pace that blog is about (silicon valley).

>>>It has applied for patents for its technologies, including one that patents a potential spamming technique.

This one makes no sense - Become.com is going to come after blog spammers, FFA link exchangers soon & say "we own the rights to do this, pay us money?".

Or even better - "your title tags match your content, spammer! you must pay".

Define mainstream.

People not in search.

Define Mainstream

"my first website was a blog"

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.