Following a thread started by DougS: Unofficial SEO Gatherings and the subsequent split off of JasonD's post to Arranging a UK SEO Meet it fills me with warm fuzziness to post the results of some great ideas - here go's...
Who, What, Where, When and Why?
Let me go briefly through all the details you need:
Who - Invites and How to Register
All attendees must sign in on this thread - This will enable us to keep track on how many folks we need to talk to the hotel about and other logistical stuff - its a free gig with no financial motive, there is no money to throw at this so this is the best we can do heh..
All manner of marketer is welcome - we often talk about what some consider to be "black" tactics here but we also have a good share of fairer folk - this is not an issue, if your a TW member and can make it to stanstead we'd love to see you :)
What - Details of What Will be Happening at the Gig
There is no agenda. Let me just repeat that so noone is under any false impressions: There is NO agenda. If you think this is a bad thing, this baby aint for you.
What is happening then? Well, in the good old style of MrMackins original pubcon from a few years back we will be meeting up at a hotel/pub and shooting the breeze - it's what you make of it. If you think getting together with a whole bunch of seriously good SEO's and having a lots of beer is a good thing, then you're in luck. If you want a show and booths, and lectures then your shit out of it. Networking is where its at for this beast.
Children and partners are welcome - in fact, we'd love it if they came. Jason and I are going to look into what facilities and attractions/distractions might be available for both kiddies and bored wives/husbands.
More details of eating and other stuff to come - We're working on this but in true TW style we're boldly going forth without the aid of a plan heh..
Where - Stuff About the Location
See the pretty pictures above? Nice eh? That's the Downhall Hotel in Stanstead and is about 8 miles from the airport. Easy peasy for euros and americans alike. Here's a little of the hotel spiel:
Main House 44 elegantly furnished bedrooms including Single, Double and Twin rooms. Eight Feature rooms with Four Poster beds or 2 Poster Beds and beautiful views over Down Hall\222s extensive grounds. One beautifully furnished Junior Suite featuring corner bath, separate lounge area and balcony.
West Wing 55 stylish and spacious rooms featuring extensive bathroom, small lounge area and executive rooms with extensive views over the stunning grounds. 8 Interconnecting rooms available connecting Twin rooms with Double rooms, ideal for families. Disabled access rooms available upon request.
I understand they have WiFi also right Jason?
When - Dates and How to Book!
The main event - when you should definately aim for in terms of attendance if you are pushed for time is Saturday 28th May at 2pm However, most folks will be arriving on Friday, and leaving on Sunday - with bank holiday monday reserved for recovery.
To make it clear:
- Friday 27th - meet in the hotel bar at anytime - if you dont see folks you know, just wander over to the nearest group of geeks and say Hi
- Saturday 28th - The main gig - 2pm till you drop - hotel bar
- Sunday 29th Same as above, but people will slowly start to head off home throughout the day
- £85 per night Bed and Breakfast
- £95 per night Bed, Breakfast and Evening Meal Single Room
- £125 per night Bed, Breakfast and Evening Meal Double Room.
Please make all bookings direct with Sarah at the Down Hall Hotel on +44 1279 732169 or email her on mentioning "Threadwatch" when you make contact.
The hotel has 99 rooms
Why - The reason this is happening
Essentially this meeting/conference/pissup has been put together by JasonD with a very small amount of facilitation from me for one reason and one reason only: To do some face to face freeform networking in a beer soaked, smoke filled envirnonment conducesive to sharing info and knowledge.
Game Rules & Donations & Sponsorship Stuff
Firstly, there will be no sponsorship, advertising of any kind except the opportunity to buy us all beer and be thanked for it :)
- All members are encouraged to send a paypal donation of $50 to email@example.com PayPal This cash will be put behind the bar, used for transport, childminding if possible and all other things designed to make this fun for everyone. Let me repeat: There is nothing financial here for TW or JasonD This is strictly a non profit gig okay?
- If you have promotion in mind, you are, in the style of rcjordan and NFFC's excellent seoroadshow limited to what you can carrry - there will be no speaches, sectioning off or banners, plackards or anything of that nature - 4eyes will chuck you bodily out of the hotel at the first whiff of anything like this. This means that you can circulate and talk to members, the same as we are all doing, if they like what you have to say you'll know about it - likewise if they dont.
What you CAN do...
You are welcome to send a sizeable donation towards beer at the paypal account above - you will be thanked for your contribution on the main day in the one and only speach to be had at the gig. Minimun donation is $300 to get a mention.
If You Plan to Attend - Sign IN
As i said above, if you're coming you must sign in here - we need to know numbers in order to liase with the hotel and arrange transport and this is the easiest way.
Boys and girls - see ya there!