The Mac Mini
The Mac Mini is Finally Here!
From the Mac Mini hompage:
Live the digital life in stylish simplicity. Just 6.5 inches wide and 2 inches tall, Mac mini provides what you need to have more fun with your music, photos and movies — right out of the box. And it boasts a miniscule price to match: Mac mini starts at $499.
and from the technical specs:
Introducing the Mac mini. Everything you need — and not an ounce more — to enjoy digital photos, music and movies. Get a fast G4 processor, slot-loading CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive and a reliable operating system in a body just 6.5-inches square and 2-inches tall. Simply add monitor, keyboard and mouse. You’ll be organizing music and photos, composing tunes and editing movies with iLife ’05 in no time. Surf the Internet with the peace of mind of the secure and stable UNIX-based Mac OS X operating system. And since Mac mini can do wireless, you don’t even have to put it near a phone jack. Configure your Mac mini with an AirPort Extreme Card, hook up an AirPort Express to your DSL connection or cable modem, and start surfing and printing wirelessly. Using AirPort Express and AirTunes, you can even listen to tunes from your Mac mini on speakers in a different room. Starting at just $499.
- Processor - 1.25GHz PowerPC G4
- Memory - 256MB of PC2700 (333MHz) DDR SRAM, supports up to 1GB
- Graphics - ATI Radeon 9200 with 32MB of DDR SDRAM with AGP 4X support
- Hard drive1 - 40GB Ultra ATA1
there is far more detail on the page linked above, you want me to get this story out today right? :-)
Reactions Around the Web
The new computer shifts the company into new territory - traditionally, the firm is known as a design and innovation-led firm rather than as a mass-market manufacturer.
The Mac mini comes without a monitor, keyboard and mouse, and a second version with a larger hard drive will also be sold for $599.
The Mac mini will appeal to PC users looking for an attractive, 'no fuss' computer
Ian Harris, Mac Format
The machine - which will be available from 22 January - was described by Jobs as "BYODKM... bring your own display, keyboard, and mouse".
Encased in brushed metal, the new Mac mini features a square shape with rounded edges and is somewhat similar in appearance to an Apple
Here it is, the new Mac Mini, available in G4 flavors for $500 and $600.
This is a perfect response from Apple to the fact that there's been a premium to be paid for using a Mac for the last twenty years. A perfect low cost second computer even if your first computer is a PC with a huge value out of the box experience. Expect more than one iPod owner to want to make the leap and get one of these to use in their home along with their PC. This is where the iPod halo effect will really kick in. Macs for the masses.
ADDED: Here's a list of other coverage - no time for quotes - check out whatever takes your fancy..
- Cnet: Mac Mini demand downs Apple's store briefly
- Cnet : Mac Mini Photos
- Gizmodo: Mac mini and iPod Shuffle: First Hands On Pics
- MacMinute Jobs unveils the new Mac mini
- SiliconBeat Apple's econo Mac Mini
- Engadget The Apple Mac Mini
- MSNBC Apple unveils
low-cost Mac, iPod
- TheRegister Apple unveils CD-sized mini Mac, one ounce iPod
- Gizmodo Industry Impressions
- Om Malik Mac Mini, a Fixed Mobile PC
- Joe Wilcox Mac Mini: What if?
- Joe's MicrosoftMonitor The $499 Mac and Windows Users
- Apple Blog Mac Mini’s Got Me Thinking
- Inessential - Keynote stuff
- NYT - Changing Course, Apple Offers Low-Priced Mac for the Home
- Apple Blog - Mac Mini - Don’t Get Stiffed on the RAM
- Gizmodo - Mac mini Porn: Every Last Picture
- AVC - Apple (continued)
- Tech Knowledge - Apple's Mac will be product of the year
- BBC - Apple Mac mini gets warm welcome
Well, what do you think?